School Governor Vacancy
School Governor Opportunity
Oaks Park High School opened as a new school, replacing Stanley Park High, on 1st September 2019. This is a very exciting time for the school and its new Local Governing Body as its works closely with the Trust and its sister school (Cheam High School) to develop excellent education for its community.
Oaks Park High School is seeking nominations from individuals living and/or working within the local community to serve a four year term as Governor. The current governing body, established by the CAN Trust Board, is looking to appoint governors with experience in the areas listed below to strengthen or complement existing skills:
- educational professional experience (eg teaching at secondary, college or university level)
- health and safety
- special educational needs
- premises and finance
- legal/ HR.
The Governor role is rewarding and interesting in equal measure and need not place major demands on your time. If you are interested in how the school operates and manages the education of its students, becoming a school governor is an excellent way to serve the school and its community and gain a good understanding of local education issues.
The time commitment involved will be approximately 6 – 9 hours per term with 1 or 2 meetings each half term. These are usually held in the early evening. It is helpful if governors can make the occasional day time visit, but this is not essential. Training is provided and would be an expected part of induction into the role.
It is important to:
- have a keen interest in the education of young people and to want to support the future success of the school
- be prepared to volunteer the time commitment required, play an active part in the governing body’s work and work within the governance framework
- satisfy the criteria regarding fitness to serve as a governor that apply to both trustees and governors. These can be found on the Trust website page here:
- Further information on the work of the governing body can be found on the website here.
HOW TO REGISTER YOUR INTEREST:
If you are interested in being part of the Local Governing Body and supporting the school to provide high quality education, then please contact Ms D Stocks, Officer to the Governing Body, by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ms Stocks will then ask you to provide contact details and a short personal statement to support your nomination (between 100 -250 words). Your nomination should be sent as soon as possible and be received by 1st March 2020. You are able to self nominate.
The closing date for nominations is 1st March 2020
After the end of the period of nomination, the Local Governing Body will be responsible for appointing the new Governors.
We look forward to hearing from you