Graduated Approach: Support strategies
The diagram on the right hand side helps to explain the graduated approach in practice and how students migrate between different interventions, depending on their individual needs and the effectiveness of specific interventions. This diagram does not show all the interventions and is for explanation purposes only.
NB SOC means “students of concern” meeting; PLUS is support for Social and emotional needs; AP is an Assistant Psychologist and EP is an Educational Psychologist
How do we identify individual students’ needs?
Internal assessments that may be used
- Progress Test (GL Assessments)
- British Picture Vocabulary Scale (Receptive Language)
SEMH Screeners that may be used
- Emotional Literacy Assessment
- SPENCE (Children’s anxiety scale)
- PASS (Pupil Attitude to Self and School)
These internal assessments are the first steps we would take when exploring underlying learning difficulties or establishing early indicators of anxiety.
- Educational Psychologist referral
- Speech and Language referral
- Occupational Therapy referral
- ASD services
- CAMHS referral
These are next step assessments if there are ongoing or persistent concerns that have not been addressed through internal school interventions.
What are the interventions on offer?
LSA led before or after school interventions:
- Homework club
- Vocabulary groups
- Handwriting club
- Reading groups
- Attendance mentoring
- Pastoral (Year Team) led interventions
- IDL – For students with specific Literacy difficulties
- SALT interventions (Speech and Language and Communication Difficulties)
- OT interventions (Occupational Therapy related activities)
- Social Skills Groups (Talk About)
- Emotional regulation support (Zones of regulation)
- ELSA (Emotional Literacy Support Assistant)
- Supported Study/Private Study
- Bereavement support
- Subject respite
Specialist Interventions are allocated on an individual needs basis and may be run by the school or by external services.
For more information regarding external interventions within the Local Area, please click on the link below: