Attendance and Punctuality
Attendance and achievement are very closely linked.
We expect our students to attend every day, to arrive on time and to be ready to learn.
- Students are required to attend regularly. Oaks Park High students should aim for attendance of 100%.
- The school day starts at 8.30am. Students should arrive by 8.20am and be fully prepared for school. Same day detentions are given to students who arrive late with no acceptable explanation received from parent.
- Contact is required from parents in the event of absence.
Reasons for Absence in Term Time
- Medical appointments – non urgent medical appointments should be made outside of school hours where possible. If such an appointment is necessary please try to arrange that your child leaves school at a lesson changeover time to ensure minimal disruption. Minor medical appointments do not warrant a full day of absence and attendance is expected before and/or after the appointment. Please produce dental or medical appointment letters when possible.
- Absence due to illness – Please contact the school as early as possible on the first day of absence, The Attendance Office is contactable via phone and email. On the day of return an email or letter should be sent to your child’s tutor to cover the whole period of absence. Please copy such emails to the Attendance email also. In the event of absence of 3 days or more please keep the Attendance Office updated.
- Other absence – Absence in term time for other reasons cannot be authorised unless there are exceptional circumstances. Penalty Notices are issued for poor attendance and unauthorised holiday
Please remember that term time covers 40 weeks of the year. Students have 12 weeks of half term and end of term holidays. Absence during term time should only be in the event of illness or injury.
The Attendance Officer is always available to discuss any issues which may affect our students’ attendance.