Ready to Learn
- Full equipment
- Homework to be handed in
- Full school uniform
- Packed lunch or money on ParentPay
- Oyster Card if needed
Full Equipment List
- Blue or black pens
- Green pen
- Pencil sharpener
- Pencil case
- Colouring pencils
- Circular portrator
- Reading book
- Exercise books (for the subjects you have on the day)
- Refillable water bottle
- PE kit (if required on the day)
Attitude to Learning
Home School Partnership
Research has shown that a positive partnership between parents, students and the school is a vital element in student success. It is essential that effective partnerships between home and school are established at the earliest opportunity. If you have any concerns about your son/daughter’s welfare, please ensure you inform your child’s form tutor who will be able to provide assistance in the first instance.
The agreement below gives practical steps that will enable all students to achieve their best at all times. Please take time to go through this with your child so everyone is clear of the expectations before students start in September.
Attendance and Punctuality
Attendance and achievement are very closely linked. We expect our students to attend every day, to arrive on time and to be ready to learn.
- Each student should aim for attendance of 100% attendance
- Arrive at school by 8.20am and be fully prepared for school. Same day detentions are given to students who arrive late with no acceptable explanation received from parents.
- Contact is required from parents in the event of absence.
Reasons for Absence in Term Time
- Medical appointments – non urgent medical appointments should be made outside of school hours where possible. If such an appointment is necessary, please try to arrange that your child leaves school at a lesson changeover time to ensure minimal disruption. Minor medical appointments do not warrant a full day of absence and attendance is expected before and/or after the appointment. Please produce dental or medical appointment letters when possible.
- Absence due to illness – Please contact the school as early as possible on the first day of absence, The Attendance Office is contactable via phone and email. On the day of return an email or letter should be sent to your child’s tutor to cover the whole period of absence. Please copy such emails to the Attendance email also. In the event of absence of 3 days or more please keep the Attendance Office updated.
- Other absence – Absence in term time for other reasons cannot be authorised unless there are exceptional circumstances. Penalty Notices are issued for poor attendance and unauthorised holiday
Please remember that term time covers 40 weeks of the year. Students have 12 weeks of half term and end of term holidays. Absence during term time should only be in the event of illness or injury.
The Attendance Officer is always available to discuss any issues which may affect our students’ attendance.
We have recently introduced a school 'app' which enables you to receive information from the school on your mobile or tablet, with notifications. This is an efficient way of getting information to you quickly. On starting the school, you will be invited to download the app. The app also includes a calendar with reminders, a 'noticeboard' and can be used for notifying absences. Additionally, all mesages are sent by email. We also keep our school website up to date with all key information and news. The school also has a Twitter page which is updated with pictures and information about the life of the school, as well as reminders. Do follow us on @OaksParkHigh.
Banned Items in School
Mobile phones are not allowed to be seen or heard in school, or they will be confiscated. This is so that they don't disrupt learning or social time. Mobile phones may be confiscated for 7 days if they are seen or heard, so please ensure your child understands this important school rule. Additionally, smart watches and expensive headphones such as Airpods are not to be brought onto the school site, and these too may be confiscated.