Lunchtimes and Breaktimes
Lunch is between 12.30 pm and 1.25 pm.
Students can also buy food or drink at breaktime; breaktime is usually between 10.30 am and 10.50 am each morning. The canteen is also open before school and at the end of the day.
The school offers free porridge to all students from 7.45am until 8.15 am.
School Lunches and food at breaktime
The school caterers, Pabulum provide a range of hot and cold lunchtime meals at reasonable prices. Students are able to choose their own meals and pay for what they select. A substantial meal would cost approximately £2 - £3 (at the time of writing). The Caterers make sure that they meet the Government National Standards for school meals to provide a variety of healthy options.
The school runs a cashless catering system for purchases. Parents/carers can make payments through ParentPay to credit their child’s account. Each time the child makes a purchase the price is debited from the child’s account. Children can check their balance in school at the devices provided.
Free School Meals
Schools receive funding for use with the general curriculum based on the number of free school meals they provide. We would, therefore, encourage all parents/carers, who qualify, to claim their free school meals. The Free School Meals page explains how to check if you are entitled to claim these for your child, and how to apply.
For those students entitled to a free school meal, a daily sum is automatically added to the child’s account and thus they pass through the check out in the same way as everybody else. These students are able to choose from the range of high quality food on offer.
Canteen Opening Times
The main canteen is open each school day:
- Breakfast: 7.45am - 8.25am selling a variety of hot and cold food and drinks.
- Morning break: 10.30am - 10.50am selling sandwiches and wraps, hot and cold snacks and drinks.
- Lunchtime selling meals of the day, pasta, salads, pizza, sandwiches, wraps, jacket potatoes and vegetables as well as snacks, biscuits, cakes, fruit and drinks.
- After School: selling hot and cold drinks and snacks.
There is a "Meal of the day". These rotate through a two or three week cycle. Other items are available daily.
Examples of meals include:
- Chicken curry with rice
- Roast turkey and trimmings
- BBQ pork with spicy noodles
- Moroccan lamb served with lemon couscous
- Homemade spicy meatballs in tomato sauce
- Pasta or vegetable dishes. These are served each day. Examples include:
- Tomato pasta
- Pasta with roasted vegetables
- Cauliflower and broccoli mornay
- Ratatouille au gratin
- Pizza and jacket potatoes are served daily with a choice of toppings
- Sandwiches and wraps made on site are available daily
Vegetables are served with the main meal of the day as indicated above but vegetable, rice and pasta portions
can also be bought separately. Chips are available one day each week.
Some students prefer to bring a packed lunch and facilities are provided for them to eat their lunches.